Friday, June 11, 2010

2009 Tax Season


So this tax season, in the spirit of petulant childish tantrum, I did not file my taxes by April 30th. This is the first time in seven years I haven’t filed early or at least on time. As many of you know I worked for Revenue Canada for about three years and would, every February, tell friends, family and co-workers to file their taxes. But this year I basically filled out Revenue Canada’s “simplified tax return”:


Yup, that is the way I felt this year. With every promotion, with every career move forward I send more and more of my pay-raise to the government in taxes, and this year I couldn’t face it! But today I buckled down, put on game 4 of the NBA finals: Lakers vs. Celtics and did my taxes. 30 minutes later I was done (my taxes are pretty easy to do, I pay taxes, I have no write-offs) and I felt sufficiently nauseous and resigned to the reality of the situation. My refund? $116.06... I guess I should just be happy I don’t OWE MORE MONEY!

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel better - we did owe - even with all of our write offs (and we have alot, one of the bonus' of having 4 kids)!

    Since Jeremy works two jobs, they do not take off enough taxes...trust me, owing is worse then not :(

    ReplyDelete