I ask you: what is more green that not doing laundry AT ALL??!! One can only avoid laundry for so long though, and I am now desperate, and out of clean clothes. So today is laundry day. I can now try some of the laundry related challenges that I made over a week ago. Further thoughts:
By waiting until everything I own is dirty, I was able to avoid taking the elevator to the laundry room for a simple load or two. I can now, like a pack-mule, drag, push, pull and heave everything I own at one time down to the laundry room. Another upside to waiting so long to do laundry is that I was forced to think about whether an item was actually dirty, or “clean-enough”, thus further reducing my need to do laundry earlier.
Last week while at the grocery store I stood in the laundry detergent aisle sniffing fabric softeners and asking myself how I could further “green” my laundry. I discovered Squeaky Green TM dryer cloths. One thing about eco-friendly products that people assume is that they cost more. This product was actually about 20% less expensive than their non-eco-friendly counterparts. The package read “never tested on animals”, and I like that a lot.
Upon further small print reading, Squeaky Green TM stated the following: “clothes are like a second skin, our free + clear cloths have no dyes or perfumes, so they’re sensitive for all skin types, plus a lot of ‘dry’ dryer sheets are made with animal fat, that’s dirty, and sticky, and gross, ours are 100% gross stuff-free.” Gross stuff-free... I really like that!
So although I am not ready to toss my ‘mountain fresh’ perfume infused animal fat coated commercial dryer sheets just yet, I am more than willing to take these natural, never been tested on animals, eco-friendly, 100% gross stuff-free dryer cloths for a test drive!
So although I am not ready to toss my ‘mountain fresh’ perfume infused animal fat coated commercial dryer sheets just yet, I am more than willing to take these natural, never been tested on animals, eco-friendly, 100% gross stuff-free dryer cloths for a test drive!
If your clothes are really smelly or dirty, a half of cup of vinegar instead of fabric softener will help get the smell out of your clothes better then anything else I have found.
ReplyDeleteAlthough your clothes may smell like vinegar when wet, they don't once dry, so don't freak out if you pull your clothes out and think you are going to smell like a giant pickle!
Vinegar also helps soften clothes and is fairly inexpensive (especially in bulk) - so that is a good green alternative for you :)
Vinegar is also a good cleaning agent instead of all the harsh chemicals of all the cleaning supplies out there - check out my blog, I wrote a whole article on vinegar!
http://becomingp31.blogspot.com/2009/06/using-vinegar-for-what.html