Friday, April 23, 2010

Hit List; Goal #2 - Read 100 Books in 24 months

Book 3: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


I am ashamed to admit that I have never read this book before now, but that it has been sitting on my book shelf for a couple of years.  A friend told me it was her favourite book and so I bought with the intention of reading it but haven’t until now. I cannot imagine how I escaped high school without it being on the required reading list, I suppose that is public education for you. But then I am glad that I hadn’t read it half-heartedly during my teen years, for I am not sure I would have taken the time to appreciate it.
While paging through the Forward of another book I discovered this:
“...  people should never be required to read so called “great books”. Better by far that a reader come to choose such books for himself or herself. The poorer stuff, the ordinary good stuff, even the better stuff, such books are perfectly fine for homework assignments, essays, tests... Better, far better, to come to “classics” willingly, with an open heart and eager mind. Then, what a thrill to absorb oneself in something truly great...”
And I couldn’t agree more.
I can see why this book is loved by so many. I read it start to finish in less than two days. I was intrigued by where the story would take me next. Would Jem and Scout and Dill finally draw Boo Radley out of the house? Would Atticus win at trial? There were so many themes in this book: race relations, class prejudices, gender roles, and family dynamics.  

This classic book was published in 1960. The story takes place in the 1930s in the town of Maycomb, Alabama which is full of colourful characters that helped build the stage for Jem, Dill and Scout's discovery of the world and how it could be cruel and beautiful, harsh and safe, and difficult and simple all simultaneously.
I enjoyed how authentically the author portrayed the social construct of the period and how she told the story through the eyes of a child, lending it an honesty and innocence that from any other perspective would have been lacking. This book was beautifully written and a great read from start to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment