Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spring is here?

Alright, so maybe not quite yet... Calgary has experienced it's traditional version of Spring (that's right, snow). That's how we do it on the prairies. I am reminded at this time of year - after enjoying over a week of lovely +20 weather - that Calgary sits nestled in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains, and that as a result our weather system is at the mercy of her whims. (Just over a week ago a friend of mine mowed her lawn, this week she shoveled her sidewalks!) Blowing snow, driving snow, ferocious winds and sleet has been our Spring weather this past week or so. But I am heartened by an email that I received from my mother including pictures that were proof that Spring has indeed arrived - even though snow again litters the rooftops of the buildings downtown Calgary.

The stirring of the lake!! You heard it right. Every year in the Spring the forest fighter water-bomber brigade starts their practice runs over Gull Lake, Alberta. That is where my parents live. They watch (and listen!) as the water bomber planes scoop up a load of water, fly around a bit and dump it back in the lake, or as my mother so perfectly puts it "dumping the water on an imaginary forest fire".

Shortly after my parents bought their house at Brighton Beach on Gull Lake my father and I were drawn to the balcony to investigate the noise of small multi-engine planes "buzzing" the rooftops of the homes on Brighton Beach. As we stood there watching them scoop and drop water I exclaimed "What are they doing!! Stirring the lake?!" And that observation has become a family joke.

Every Spring the water bombers stop by for a bit and give Gull Lake a good stir. So even as I watch the snow fly, obliterating the skyline of downtown, I am relieved to know that the Spring stirring has begun and the warm weather is on the way!!

These pictures were donated by Catherine B. Ford (aka Mom) for publication on my blog:

Buzzing the houses: The bottom right had corner of the picture is my parent's house. That is how close the planes fly!




 Picking up the water:




Dumping the water back in the lake... See? Stirring the Lake!


Happy Spring!
Dar

1 comment:

  1. Spring is here now. The pics prove it....oh it might snow on Saturday LOL kbf

    ReplyDelete